Monday, February 28, 2011

Orange Essential Oil

I will honestly admit that citrus sinensis (orange) is not one of my top three essential oils. That would be Helichrysum, Lavender, Grapefruit, and Geranium. Oh wait! I listed four. Obviously it is difficult for me to limit myself when it comes to owning essential oils. I am happy to say that ORANGE SWEET is on oil I try to keep stocked with. When I spent two weeks cleaning our condo before we moved in- orange essential oil was used everywhere. I love FRESH and clean, so even though this place appeared clean I went over every inch with a splash of spic-n-span and a few teaspoons of orange oil in every bucket of hot water used to touch every wall, cupboard, tile, and floor. Ooooo, I sure love knowing there is NO dirt, grime, or bug breading places in any of the corners in my home! When we started moving our furniture and boxes in I felt relaxed (orange does that to a person), and confident that any future cleaning would be removing my dirt and germs and not the previous occupants.

For real- adding orange essential oil to your cleaning water freshens and disinfects the surfaces you clean. Orange oil has an amazing ability to grab onto and remove the greasy grimy kind of dirt left on walls which generally takes scrubbing and effort to remove. And this way the paint actually gets to stay on the wall. The scent is very pleasant and relaxing. I would rather smell the fresh scent of orange than the brain piercing scent of gaggy cleansers. It's better for the environment too!

Basic facts on Orange essential oil:
Citrus Sinensis
Uses: Diuretic, constipation, helps eliminate toxins, overindulgence, mouth ulcers, skin care, antiseptic, nervous anxiety, depression, disinfectant, general body tonic.
This oil contains vitamin, minerals, and enzymes. Can be used to flavor food, drinks, and confectionery. The properties of Orange overlap to a large extent with those of the related oil of Neroli (obtained from the orange blossom), being anti-depressant, antispasmodic, and mildly sedative, and is recommended for several of the same purposes as Neroli. Only Orange costs less and smells better.
This is a cheery oil and blends well with spice oils, which makes it an uplifting choice to use during the winter months in warm drinks, or diffused.
Contraindications: As with all citrus oils, should not be applied to the skin before exposure to strong sunlight.
Use all oils with caution and respect. Know any contraindications before using. keep out of reach of children and pets. keep away from eyes. Always dilute properly. Remember . . . less is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment