Tuesday, February 8, 2011

It's About Time I Blogged About Essential Oils

TEN years ago I formed a new little business I named Scents'ibility. I had just discovered the amazing qualities of essential oils and I wanted to make sure I had access to the good stuff. I remember wondering WHY I hadn't known about essential oils all my life. Up to that point in my life I had had only one experience with essential oils, and even then I hadn't known what I was using. As a little girl I had leg aches and my mom would rub Wintergreen oil on my legs to help them feel better. I'm sure she had purchased it at the local drug store. Well, the stuff worked. One time I put the oil on by myself. Whoa! No one had explained to me how little was needed. I recall that I was uncomfortable for a while till it wore off. Little did I know then that the solution at that time (other than knowing the correct amount to apply) was to apply a carrier oil such as olive oil (which I'm sure we had stocked in the kitchen) which would have taken away the cold burning of the wintergreen oil.

Ten years ago when I first really learned about essential oils my oldest children were getting to the age of leaving my home and venturing off on their own, I was frustrated to find out that I had missed out on utilizing something as amazing and simple as essential oils during their growing up years. I was flabbergasted to find out essential oils had been around for CENTURIES and I had just found out about them. So I made it my business to share the news.

I shared. I started a home business, I worked it for awhile.

Today, I still purchase my oils wholesale in quantities larger than the average person needs, and I still sell to people when they call me up, but I am not printing off letterhead and doing bulk mailings. I sell shoes for a real job. And I love it that way.

A few months ago I was introduced to an essential oil company which distributes oils through a certain type of marketing structure. I actually am impressed with the quality of their essential oils, so I signed up. Remember that I once had my own little essential oil business where I researched suppliers and varieties to be able to supply the best quality for my customers. I even had the opportunity to go to Europe and pick up oils there. I have been using essential oils every day for the past ten years. I make blends and own over a dozen books written about essential oils. One of which is a really boring masterpiece on the chemical blah blah blah of each of them. I am not a chemist so I loaned that one out to my dad who understands that language. I do not claim to be an expert, I am not a licensed Aromatherapist, I am not a doctor of anything, but I like to think I know a good essential oil when I smell one.

The company with the superb oils is Do Terra. My sister has a website with them, so if you are interested clink on her link and tell her Karen sent you.

2 comments:

  1. woo hoo! I'm excited for this blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andi. It is fun to have a 'follower' already. You made my day!

    ReplyDelete